Monday, May 30, 2011

Back on the horse

After a week of rest and trying to recover from my head / chest cold, I got 'back on the horse' and began training again.

I am more of a goal oriented person and strive to achieve specific targets that I set for myself instead of aimless running. Although I get a lot of enjoyment from running I also like the challenge of training for an upcoming race. To overcome my disappointment of The North Face 100 I looked around at what races were coming up.

I decided on racing the Gold Coast Airport Marathon in early July. I have never done this race but have wanted to for many years. The race is known as a fast and flat course and is often considered as the race to do if you want to get a PB. If I decided to enter the race I would only have 6 weeks of training to get ready. Most people would say that 6 weeks is not enough time to prepare, but I considered my recent ultra marathon training to be a great base to begin a specific marathon program.

So I entered and began my first week of training.

Monday - 10.12km - 52mins 11secs - 5:09mins/km - easy run
Tuesday - 22.55km - 1hr 43mins 25secs - 4:35mins/km - incl 18km tempo
Wednesday - 12.50km - 1hr 04mins 22secs - 5:09mins/km - recovery run
Thursday - 20.05km - 1hr 35mins 10secs - 4:45mins/km - with 6km at sub 4:10mins/km
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - 35.05km - 2hrs 46mins 34secs - 4:45mins/km - long steady run
Sunday - 12.05km - 1hr 09secs - 5:00mins/km - group run

Week 1 totals - 112.31km - 9hrs 01mins 53secs - 4:49mins/km average pace

Saturday's run was quite tough, got up for work at 4:45am and had a busy shift. Ran solo starting at 2:09pm, was comfortable to start but a few hills and tired legs from my first week, with up tempo work, meant that it became increasingly harder to hold my steady pace.

I'm very happy with my first week back and enjoying the faster running. I still have a bit of a chesty cough which is more annoying than anything but it seems to be lessening which is good.

I decided to enter the 'Rocky River Run' half marathon which is in two weeks time. I'm really looking forward to the half as it will give me a good indication of how my fitness is and how I am coping with the speed work. I start night shift this week which will be an extra challenge, but I say BRING IT ON.

Keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment