Wednesday, July 6, 2011

2011 Gold Coast Marathon

On Sunday 3rd July 2011 I finished my 7th marathon. I officially finished the race in 3hrs 12mins 35secs for 351st overall. My finish time is my slowest marathon by 10 minutes, however I was not really disappointed. My loving and supportive wife was a bit worried that I would be very upset, but funnily enough I wasn't.

In my 6 week training program, since The North Face 100, I had made some very encouraging progress and was feeling fast and strong. I had managed to bring my average pace down for my key tempo/race pace sessions and went into the race with a goal time of 2:55.

On race morning I had a nice easy warm up with Gavin and stood at the start line ready to go. Two of my training partners from the Rockhampton Road Runners, Gavin and Michael, were also aiming for Sub3 hours and we positioned ourselves in the appropriate corral with the two pacers who had light blue coloured balloons with 3:00 printed on them and affixed to their singlets (one being the legend himself, Steve Moneghetti).

I felt quite relaxed for the race and was not really nervous about it. I had been given good advice from some friends of mine not to go out too fast. They know me very well and know that I take off too quickly. For the first kilometre I was relaxed and didn't push the pace at all. In previous marathons my first kilometre is always under 4 minutes but this time I went through in 4:10, exactly the pace I needed to do.

I hit the 10km mark in 41:23 which was about where I wanted to be. I had been doing quite a bit of running with Gavin which was great for support. It was around this point that I noticed that my inner thighs were getting quite tight. I had finally caught up to the 3hr balloon as Mona had taken off very quickly and it took me that long to catch them.

As we got closer to the turn-aound I saw the leaders coming back. They were moving it and had a significant lead on the rest of the field. After the turnaround I continued to run with Gavin and focused on trying to stay relaxed in the hope that my legs would loosen up a bit. I was feeling comfortable and didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. After the turn I kept an eye out for anyone else I knew. Michael was only about 30 seconds back and I saw Sean after he called out. He was looking really good and seemed to be enjoying himself. I couldn't see anyone else as there seemed to be a neverending sea of runners heading towards the turn.

I went through the first 20km on target but my legs were feeling especially tight. I slowed for a drink and lost some distance on Gavin. After slowing down I couldn't get back into the same rhythm. Gavin pulled ahead, Michael passed me and I went through the half-way point in 1:28:01. Although my time for half-way was only 30secs shy of my goal pace I knew that it was not my day. I was okay with that.

I managed to continue running at a strong pace but I was losing time and places quite quickly. As I progressed through the kilometres I noticed other runners in the 3hr pack had also dropped off so I was not the only one hurting. I decided to try and enjoy the experience, not worry about time and just have fun running. The weather was heating up and my nutrition was again failing me.

My desire to stop and walk for a bit was quite strong but the huge crowds meant that I had to keep running. I was sweating heavily and pouring water over my head to keep cool. My legs were cramping and my stomach muscles were very tight. I was trying to enjoy it but it was becoming difficult and was now a matter of ticking over the kilometres. The northern turn-around towards Runnaway Bay could not come any quicker. The course kept going. Each time I rounded a corner expecting to see the turnaround I was instead faced with more runners disappearing into the horizon or around another corner. It was at this point that I saw Gavin, Michael and the 3hr balloons. With less than 5km to go I knew that they would both break 3hrs or get very close.

For the last 8km my pace slipped to over 5min/km. I was being passed by lots of runners who were running really steady and strong. I was also picking up other runners who had completely spent their energy. I passed people walking, hobbling and even a couple of runners who were staggering or had simply stopped altogether. I had a better chance to see other runners that I knew as I ran towards the finish and tried to cheer them on and motivate them to keep going.

I crossed the finish line in front of a massive crowd of people. The support out on the course was so huge and reminded me of the Ironman races that I have done in the past. At the finish line I met up with Gavin and Michael and was so happy to hear that they had both broken the 3hr barrier with Gavin recording a 2:58:00 net time and Michael a 2:59:25.

Instead of going through the motions I went for it. I pushed myself. I didn't acheive my desired result but I will also not be wondering what if.
A huge congratulations to all the Rocky Road Runners who made the trip down with some very good results:



Gavin BENDALL: 2:58:00
Michael MCGRATH: 2:59:25
Leah CHEAL: 3:28:11
Boyd HALL: 3:28:48 (Debut Marathon)
Jacob WILLIAMS: 3:29:47 (Debut Marathon)
Brenden MOTLEY: 3:33:21 (Debut Marathon)
Gavin REYNOLDS: 3:43:33
Geoffrey BARRETT: 3:45:01 (10th place 60-64 age-group)
Raelene BENDALL: 3:49:19
Jason PAULL: 3:58:49
Sean PECKOVER: 4:18:52
Rachael CHADWICK: 4:45:43
Melissa RICKS: 5:15:23 (Debut Marathon)

Also to those in the half-marathon:

Paul TUCKER: 1:12:39 (30th overall)
Alice TUCKER: 1:28:19
Chris POLLOCK: 1:30:05
Sasha KING: 1:42:59
Trisha SMITH: 1:53:29
David WILKES: 1:56:34
Victoria PAULL: 2:23:05 (Debut Half Marathon)

& Dylan BENDALL in the 10km: 48:10 (15 years old)

(sorry if I missed anyone)

Since the marathon I have recovered quite well and I'm already planning my next race. Stay tuned.

Keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment