Thursday, January 26, 2012

Guilt and missing sessions

I started the new week running well with a gradual increase to all of my sessions, I added in some hill work and ran my first double of the year. I was looking forward to running about 145km for the week and was on target having run 86km by close of business on Thursday. Looking back I think that Thursday's run was the turning point.

I got up on Thursday morning and headed out the door a little before 6:00am. The sun was up and the temperature was in the mid 20's or so. I was wearing a t-shirt instead of a singlet after an unfortunate case of sun-burn from Wednesday's run. On Wednesday I ran for 1hr 20mins leaving home at 10:00am. I briefly considered putting on some sunscreen but didn't, I thought that with my base tan and it only being a shortish run that I would be alright. Wrong. I later found out that that time of day is when UV is at its highest. I have learned my lesson and will endeavour to wear sunscreen when running during the day from now on.

Getting back to Thursday, I decided to take it easier as I had started the week well and although the temperature was not excessive, the humidity felt above average. After a few kilometres my muscles were loosening up and relaxing but I was sweating more than usual. I kept my pace slower and kept ticking off the kilometres on a relatively flat course. I kept drinking to keep my hydration on track especially considering my sweat rate in the oppressive conditions. Unfortunately by the time I got home I was struggling and my stride was barely more than a shuffle. I was breathing hard even though my pace was slower than normal and I was saturated with sweat. I had a shower and tried to hydrate as much as I could but I still felt cooked. Due to my shifts, Thursday was my only chance to mow the lawns. We live on a corner section meaning that it takes about 1.5hrs to mow my lawn. I covered up and set about my work. By the time I was finished I was totally spent. I had sweated out another 4 litres or so and had to think about getting ready for my afternoon shift at work.

Friday was my normal day off running and even though I was working I hoped to recover in time for my long run on Saturday. I set my alarm for 3:00am on Saturday but when it went off it took a huge effort to get out of bed. Physically my body was okay but mentally I was trashed and was extremely sleep tired. I had set out all my gear and prepared my nutrition the night before so I felt that I should get out and run. The thing was, I felt like I couldn't face it. I sat on the couch for 20-30mins debating with myself about the pros and cons of running. For one thing I was already up, my gear was ready and I thought I should just get out there and see how I felt. On the other hand I kept thinking about my previous posts on running when tired and the benefit of resting. I guess that the main point I was considering was the need to balance training with all of the other variables I have in my life. In the end common-sense prevailed and I went back to bed. I sent a text to Geoff to give my apologies to the group and would later apologise to Marty who would have already left home and would fail to find me along our designated route.

After a sleep-in I was still in two minds. Essentially I knew that I had made the right decision, however I still felt guilty about missing the session, especially as it was my long run and the omission would greatly affect my overall weekly volume. I knew that I was tired, that I needed more sleep and that due to my volume for the week so far and the high humidity, that I would not have a very good run. The general rule that I TRY to follow is that, if I find myself struggling to get out the door, or if I am running and am really struggling physically and/or mentally, then I should call it a day or miss the session. I guess that as an endurance runner I can get caught up in numbers and stats and that it is times like these that I should listen to my body. Sometimes the most difficult thing to do is rest or miss a session but in the long term it may mean the difference between having a good run or race and being overtrained and having a miserable run. The extra sleep helped and I got to spend the entire day with my lovely wife and wonderful kids without feeling tired and needing another sleep. I ended up having a really great day and was pleased about making the right decision.

As the day wore on I kept thinking about the weeks ahead and my ambitious schedule for this year, and on Sunday I was rewarded with a great run with the group. Having the two consecutive rest days allowed me to recover sufficiently to the point where I was able to run really well and cover over 20km at an average pace of 4:51min/km. I still managed over 100km for the week and now I am ready to have another great week of running.

Week 3 Summary:

Mon - 20.63km - 1hr 50mins 22secs - hill run up Mt Archer with Marty
Tue am - 15.05km - 1hr 25mins 51secs - flat recovery run with Sean
Tue pm - 10.25km - 51mins 56secs - flat to undulating solo run
Wed - 15.05km - 1hr 20mins 14secs - Undulating run solo at 10am
Thu - 25.05km - 2hrs 15mins 39secs - Mainly flat in high heat & humidity
Fri - Rest day
Sat - Rest day
Sun - 20.55km - 1hr 39mins 44secs - run with Sunday RRR group

Weekly total - 106.59km - 9hrs 23mins 49secs
Monthly total - 371.89km - 35hrs 05mins 39secs
2012 YTD total - 371.89km - 35hrs 05mins 39secs

I guess that the main thing I have taken away from this last week of training is that I cannot expect to have a great run every single time I lace up my shoes, that I should listen to my body and that it is okay to miss a run or two if I am too tired or do not feel up to it. Remember to have fun out there, spend time with your loved ones, do a good deed for no return or reward, smile and say hello to a random stranger (you never know it might make their day and be just what they needed) and ......

Keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment